Thursday, March 15, 2012

Britain’s Top Festivals

There’s no point anyone really trying to deny that Glastonbury is by far and away the best festival in the UK. Its essential brilliance lies in the unbelievable eclecticism of its music, comedy, theatre, dance, discos and much more besides: one could invest one’s time pedaling bicycles to help power the site’s generators, while away the hours lying on your back seeing animals in the clouds or visit one of the festival’s dozens of stages showing the best acts that the global music scene has to offer. The arrays of different cuisines available mean that whatever the preferences of your taste buds, you’ll be able to find something that will more than satisfy them. I would especially recommend the Goan fish curry stall, which is located to the right of the Jazz stage.

       
If you’re into your thrash metal, another festival that I would certainly recommend is Bloodstock in Derbyshire. Last year they had Alice Cooper and Anvil playing, which just goes to show the unbelievable quality of acts that they have on show each year. I am a big fan of head banging, but like to retire to a comfy room at the end of the day rather than camp on site. Perhaps I am beginning to show my age. For this reason, I always have a look online for cheap hotels in Derby. I am far from computer savvy but am normally about to locate a comfy room in a reasonably priced establishment by typing something along the lines of ‘Derby UK hotels’ into google.
       
But despite my love of hard core thrash metal, I would still say that Glastonbury is a superior festival to Woodstock, despite the fact that it doesn’t have any stages featuring the kind of punk that gets me throwing my long hair around as though I were trying to get a wasp out of my ear. I can still enjoy a range of other kinds of music – recently I’ve been getting into my reggae – but nothing gets me quite like a Metallica guitar solo. Maybe Michael Eavis will book them to play the Pyramid one year and all my dreams will come true, but I somehow doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment