Friday, October 14, 2011

The Trip That Changed Her Life

My mother retired about 3 years ago from being a school teacher. Ever since she retired her whole life changed. She used to have this routine that filled up a big part of her life. She would go to work in the morning for the whole day and then back home she would do a little cleaning, do some home-work like correcting copies and then maybe watch a movie. And this routine was filling her life.

Now that she was retired she had nothing to do. She did a few things like traveling but traveling alone wasn’t her thing. She tried to do some new activities but got bored from them. She was truly passionate about teaching and taking this away from her life was hurting her soul. Eventually she became depressed and would sleep all day, read, watch television and phone me 3 times a day to ask me how I was and what was I doing. This was too much for me to handle. I have a wife, a 3 year old daughter and a 5 year old son. I am already busy.
My wife told me about a friend of hers that went to volunteer in Latin America and that she was sure she could find something about teaching English. I thought that was a great idea so we immediately did some research on the internet and found a few teaching opportunities. My mother was delighted and off she went to volunteer in Costa Rica for 6 months. The cost of living is two times cheaper and her retirement funds were fairly good.
When she came back she was so happy and filled with life. She said she helped them build a new school for kids that were deprived from any kinds of education and then she taught English there. She became very close with the locals and learned to speak Spanish fluently. She was having a new fulfilling life and she felt like she was very important again. She’s going back there next month and is thinking to settle there for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment